Re: Albertaceratops (simpson's bi-annual b*tch about dino naming)

Mike Hanson (mhanson54@comcast.net) wrote:

<I have to agree, but what really adds insult to injury was that this
particular creature was originally going to be named "Medusaceratops", which I
think is a far better name than the pathetic Albertaceratops.>

  While the name in Ryan's doctoral thesis does provide a provoking, thoughtful
name is allusion to the hideous and bizarre appearance of the horns, and of the
snaky brow and frill horns, there is a justice to naming it for the Province
instead:

  There have been many times, and I mean MANY times, where names originally
coined in a thesis or passed by word of mouth has been extolled over the
internet, which can and does influence the viability of that name to be
published. Thus, I think there is a slight justice in changing the name after
the thesis name had been spread around.

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
http://bitestuff.blogspot.com/