Re: Albertaceratops (simpson's bi-annual b*tch about dino naming)

Quoting Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com>:

Andreas Johansson wrote:

By the way, the -o- does not indicate masculinity in Latin. You'd
expect _Abertosaurus_ regardless of whether it was named for an Albert or an Alberta.

If it was named after Alberta rather than Albert, wouldn't the etymologically correct name be "Albertosaura" or "Albertasaura"?

No, the final -us (Greek -os) or -a refers to the sex of the lizard, not of the honoree (actually, I'm not sure it even has to do with the sex of the lizard; my dictionary appears to indicate that _sauros_ and _saura_ are just alternative words for 'lizard').

--
Nick Pharris
Department of Linguistics

"Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    --Edwin H. Land