Built Like a Race Horse, Slow as an Elephant?

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 00:06:09 -0800 (PST),
DINOSAUR@usc.edu wrote:

>       by K and T Dykes <ktdykes@arcor.de>
>   3) Built Like a Race Horse, Slow as an Elephant?
>       by Sim Koning <simkoning@msn.com>

I think that Mr. Koning has "hit the proverbial nail on
the head."

Any logical analysis of the various TRex factors he
discusses (growth rates, limb length ratios vs. age of
individual), as well as study of the ecosystem leads to
the conclusions he lays out.

Young to teenage TRexes = VERY FAST.

Adult TRexes = Slower, but still capable of (at least)
matching an elephant's speed - which is pretty scary if
you've ever been in the sights of a bull in musth who
suddenly decides your jeep needs to be stomped.

Is Dr. Horner listening?  Or is he still too busy
"fundraising via controversy" with one eye squarely
shut to the evidence (or perhaps winking at us).

I do agree that palaeontologists need to raise funds
for their endeavors.

But I disagree that spouting off easily discreditable
theories (TRex as scavenger, Dinosaurs in decline
BEFORE K-T, Chixculub couldn't have killed them off) in
order to gain publicity is the way to go about it.

So, if Dr. Horner and the proponents of the various
other 'hypotheses' listed above are listening:

1.  TRex was THE 'Apex Predator' - which also scavenged
when carrion was available (do any of y'all pass up a
free meal?);

2.  Dinosaur diversity was at its HEIGHT just before
the K-T boundary (samples from ONE teeny tiny site
known as 'Hell Creek' notwithstanding - the exception
that proves the rule)

3.  The asteroid that hit Yucatan killed off the
dinosaurs;  we're d*mned lucky ANYTHING survived at all
other than insects.

*VENT MODE OFF*

Now y'all just go back to digging up those interesting,
weird and bigger and bigger dinosaurs...and those of us
with degrees in logical analysis will occasionally step
in to help you make sense of it all.

(*DUCKING*)