Re: Carnivore Energetics: Why Are Lions Not As Big As Elephants? ..and why aren't antelopes?

On 1/22/07, Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:
Actually, the Anoles that were introduced to islands with trees (that
used climbing as a predator escape) developed longer legs. Those on
islands dominated by low dense shrubs reduced their leg lengths. Both
facilitated faster escapes; long legs allowed faster climbing, while
short legs allowed a faster escape through dense vegetation.

What I've had read was that inicially Anolis lizzards with longer legs were favoured, but latter short-legged one became more numerous.

Anyway I would emphasize *escape* rather than faster - once Anolis go
up in to shrubs or trees in a secure height they stop to run.

[]s,

Roberto Takata