Re: Carnivore Energetics: Why Are Lions Not As Big As Elephants? ..and why aren't antelopes?

Roberto Takata writes:

On 1/22/07, Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:
Actually, the Anoles that were introduced to islands with trees (that
used climbing as a predator escape) developed longer legs. Those on
islands dominated by low dense shrubs reduced their leg lengths. Both
facilitated faster escapes; long legs allowed faster climbing, while
short legs allowed a faster escape through dense vegetation.

What I've had read was that inicially Anolis lizzards with longer legs
were favoured, but latter short-legged one became more numerous.

Anyway I would emphasize *escape* rather than faster - once Anolis go
up in to shrubs or trees in a secure height they stop to run.

We're actually talking about two different experiments. I was thinking of:

Losos, J.B., Warheit, K.I. and Schoener, T.W., 1997 "Adaptive differentiation following experimental island colonization in Anolis lizards" Nature 387(6628):70â73

... while you were talking about:

Losos, Schoener, Langerhans & Spiller 2006. "Rapid Temporal Reversal in Predator-Driven Natural Selection " Science 314: 1111.

It seems that Losos and Schoener have been busy with anole lizards.

Dann Pigdon
Melbourne, Australia        http://heretichides.soffiles.com