Re: Livezey and Zusi's big bird morph analysis and Archaeopteryx 10

On 1/27/07, Michael Mortimer <mickey_mortimer111@msn.com> wrote:
Finally, the Livezey and Zusi's long-awaited morphological analysis of Aves
is published!  And the pdf is freely available.
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/toc/zoj/149/1

Livezey and Zusi, 2007. Higher-order phylogeny of modern birds (Theropoda,
Aves: Neornithes) based on comparative anatomy. II. Analysis and discussion.
Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society. 149 (1), 1-95.

"Thirty-five outgroup taxa encompassing Crocodylia, predominately
theropod Dinosauria, and selected Mesozoic birds were used to root the
trees. Based on study of specimens
and the literature, 2954 morphological characters were defined; these
characters have been described in a companion
work, approximately one-third of which were multistate (i.e. comprised at
least three states), and states within more
than one-half of these multistate characters were ordered for analysis."

Admittedly though, their topology is a little unusual in the outgroups though...

(Crocodylia((Ornithischia,Sauropodomorpha)(Herrerasaurus and EVERYTHING ELSE))

I'd love to see the charater support for Ornithischia+Sauropodomorpha,
honestly, and I wonder what they scored their OTUs after.

Nick Gardner