Re: More on Argentavis

As one more quick aside, I did raise an eyebrow at this interview comment:

"Heavier birds such as the ostrich had to give up flight."

Granted, ostriches appear to be well above the maximum mass for a volant bird (though not the limit for volant vertebrates as a whole, see pterosaurs...), but many ratites are not. Am I mistaken in saying that the evidence suggests an increase to ostrich size *after* loss of volancy, rather than a loss of flight in the specific lineage leading to ostriches as size reached maximum launch limits?

Cheers,

--Mike H.