Re: More on Argentavis

Mike Habib (mhabib5@jhmi.edu) wrote:

<"Heavier birds such as the ostrich had to give up flight."

Granted, ostriches appear to be well above the maximum mass for a volant bird
(though not the limit for volant vertebrates as a whole, see pterosaurs...),
but many ratites are not.  Am I mistaken in saying that the evidence suggests
an increase to ostrich size *after* loss of volancy, rather than a loss of
flight in the specific lineage leading to ostriches as size reached maximum
launch limits?>

  I would have certainly argued that the large size of several ratites was
enabled BY the loss of flight, rather than leading TO the loss of flight.

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
http://bitestuff.blogspot.com/

Choose the right car based on your needs.  Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car
Finder tool.
http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/