Pine trees and paleoartists

Why is it that paleoartists almost always decorate their Mesozoic landscapes with pine trees? I have always found this cliche irritating and aesthetically unattractive. If I recall correctly, the Mesozoic Era had a warm, almost tropical climate (although the polar regions appear to have experienced more temperate conditions), and yet from looking at paleoartists' depictions, you would think it was like Alaska or Sweden with all those pine forests. Are there tropical species of pine trees that I don't know about, because in my opinion, pine trees look seriously out of place in a landscape that's supposed to be hot and muggy.

Also, what's with the volcanoes smoking in the background?

Search from any Web page with powerful protection. http://toolbar.live.com/?mkt=en-sg Get the FREE Windows Live Toolbar Today!