Re: The Return of The Thagomizer... :-)

David Marjanovic wrote:

> > BTW, if (in an alternate timeline) humans did indeed evolve with
> > dinosaurs, would they really be as white as Raquel Welch, Fred Flintstone,
> > or the class in that cartoon? I would expect people living in a climate
> > like that enjoyed by most large dinosaurs to be black- or brown-skinned.
>
> That depends on the UV irradiation (in other words the latitude, roughly),
> not on the heat.

Actually, recent studies suggest that a lot of melanin in the skin may be for
protection against tropical fungi and bacteria moreso than for protection from
the sun (although it does both). In fact, melanin offers very little protection
from UVB rays at all.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s282901.htm

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist              geocities.com/dannsdinosaurs
Melbourne, Australia             heretichides.soffiles.com