Re: Wilkinson's new pterosaur paper

I agree about sliding the proximal insertion point. I note in passing that the shape of the ilium in lateral view often describes a superb 'form' for an aft camberline and that an aft ilium attachment (actually, a full-length ilium attachment) might accept the wing membrane loads at a slightly lower stress level while allowing the elbow to better modulate the inboard camber.
JimC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Habib" <mhabib5@jhmi.edu>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 11:31 AM
Subject: Re: Wilkinson's new pterosaur paper

I don't quite understand what you mean by "wingtip to elbow". The wing has to attach somewhere proximally. I suspect that it attached near the anterior edge of the ilium in most large pterosaurs, and perhaps to the thigh in some others (and perhaps the ankle in a few forest-dwelling taxa). I see no reason why multiple attach points cannot exist in the same clade. It would simply mean "sliding" the proximal insertion point developmentally. Hardly seems impossible, or even improbable.

Cheers,

--Mike H.