Re: W. D. Matthew's _Dinosaurs_

On 7/15/07, T. Michael Keesey <keesey@gmail.com> wrote:
On 7/14/07, Michael Mortimer <mickey_mortimer111@msn.com> wrote:
> Ah, the Comanchic and Eogene periods.  And the KT event only 3.1 Mya.  I
> didn't realize such things were believed in 1915.

A web search for "Eogene" turns up papers as late as the '30s.

In the 1931 novella *At the Mountains of Madness*, H. P. Lovecraft has his geologist protagonist refer repeatedly to the "Comanchian". This prompted me to some online research, from which it appears that the Comanchian period is the Lower Cretaceous. There's also a Comanchian geological province in N America.

-- Andreas Johansson