Re: Refurbished Berlin Brachiosaurus Mount

Thanks a lot for the laud and comments, Mike. Of course we chose an 'extreme' end in the spectrum of mounting possibilities, but collaborating with Andreas Christian for a while in the Sauropod Biology Research Group, I find his arguments pretty convincing. And even if the 'most neutral' pose of the neck would be 70° or 60°, the pose shown in the new exhibtion would be still in the range of motion _Brachiosaurus_ probably was capable of (Christian and Dzemski 2007). The impression that C6-8 are curved backwards actually is an optical illusion: they are oriented almost vertically, but still inclined slightly cranially (about 85° to the horizontal plane). In a word, the posture shown might not represent the most average of all postures of the living animal, but I believe we present no anatomical impossibilities.
By the way, with the new leg postures, the new orientation of the scapulocoracoid, and this neck posture we managed to raise the head of _Brachiosaurus_ to 13.27 m (adding about 1.5 m relative to the old mount!). If the limbs were mounted in a vertical, standing position (instead of the fast walking scene shown), another 20 or 30 cm may be added.

I hope many of you will find an opportunity to visit Berlin and have a look at the new exhibition. I promise you won't regret! :-)

All the best,
Kristian

__________________________________________________ Kristian Remes Abteilung für Forschung Museum für Naturkunde der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin Invalidenstraße 43 10115 Berlin Germany

phone +49 30 2093 7410
email kristian.remes@museum.hu-berlin.de
www.naturkundemuseum-berlin.de

Mike Taylor schrieb:
Danvarner@aol.com writes:
> The Berlin Museum of Natural History's new dinosaur mounts have
> recently been put on view. The Brachiosaurus will probably be
> controversial. Here are some photos:
> > http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/0,5538,PB64-SUQ9MjMxNDEmbnI9MQ_3_3,00.html

Thanks for this link, Dan.  More photos have been surprisingly hard to
come by, but judging by these frustratingly small ones, it looks like
David and Kristian have done a spectacular job.  Putting the three
sauropods together is definitely an impressive move.

Adopting so very Christian-and-Heinrichish a neck posture is
... courageous :-)  While a lot more work will be needed to persuade
me that Stevens and Parrish's ultra-low neck posture of Brachiosaurus
is correct, this 1988-era GSP pose, in which the neck actually curves
backwards between about C6 and C8, is just asking for another remount
in a few years.  I notice that Greg himself is using a less elevant
posture in more recent versions of his reconstruction -- for example,
the one in the Scientific American book has its neck at about 60
degrees to the horizontal.

Still, however strong its scientific basis, there's no question but
that this pose shows off the material in the most impressive way.  I
can't wait to get back over there and see just how weird it looks in
person.

I will sort of miss Janensch's mount, though, with the goofy elbows
:-/

)_v__/\  "Microsoft's policy seems to be patching the holes as they get
         exploited, not as they are found" -- Panu A Kalliokoski.

*    This Mail List at USC.EDU only accepts PLAIN TEXT    *