Re: aktinofibril intercalation, JCunningham

Jim Cunningham wrote:
>As an aside, for the broadwing concept, I see no way for the chord of the
>inner wing to be extensible enough to allow for free motion of the hindlimbs
>when launching.  If it is slack enough to allow the rear legs freedom to
>launch, then it will be slack enough in flight to present severe problems
>for both flight efficiency and flight control.  Keeping it taught would
>require limitations on hindlimb mobility in flight that don't seem
>practicable to me.  When the inner wings go slack, the animal will be on the
>ground in short order, whether intended or not.

Probably would be a good idea for you to sketch or trace a Cunningham version
of the wing/torso/leg combination for me. I have a feeling you're depending on
the hind legs to keep the trailing edge of the wing taut when the elbow is
doing that job. Funny, I thought we were on the same page on that matter. I'm
sending you a GIF of the Vienna specimen on a separate email so you can see
what the evidence is saying.

David