RE: Coelacanths and dodos

Hi, Donna!

The coelacanth you remember may well have been in a tank of fluid, but it
was most certainly dead at the time.  San Francisco's California Academy of
Sciences has two coelacanth specimens, and one of them has been on display
at times (most recently in "Life Through Time" hall).  The LTT specimen was
held inside a glass tank filled with preservative.  Unlike many pickled
fish, however, this one was suspended upright inside the tank, so it
appeared more like a living fish.  So far as I know, this deep water fish
has never survive for an extended period of time once brought to the
surface, although it has been filmed swimming in shallow water as it died.
You can find out more about coelacanths at
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/3003_fish.html .

I don't know where you saw the dodo, but it was most certainly a model, not
a mounted skin, as none exist.  Although the Extinction Web Site at
http://www.petermaas.nl/extinct/speciesinfo/dodobird.htm  claims that Oxford
and Copenhagen have preserved heads, and Oxford and London each have a
preserved foot, Oxford's dodo article at
http://www.oum.ox.ac.uk/learning/pdfs/dodo.pdf
states that its head and foot constitute the only surviving dodo soft
tissue.  You can see a photo of the complete Oxford mount prior to its
cremation in 1755 (ordered in response to its advanced state of decay) at
http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/content/animals/animals/birds/dodo.htm  .

Sorry to disappoint you.

Dino Guy Ralph
Dinosaur and Fossil Education
Member of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology