Re: aktinofibril intercalation, JCunningham

Rereading as you suggested, I'm going to guess, Jim, that by inner wing you're
talking about the inner brachiopatagium, still outboard of the elbow. The
confusion probably started because we were talking about inboard of the elbow
being the questionable area.

Then you said: <<If it is slack enough to allow the rear legs freedom to
>launch, then it will be slack enough in flight to present severe problems
>for both flight efficiency and flight control. >>

So it appeared you were attempting to tie up the rear legs to the wings to
reduce slack. This is the classic deep chord argument and the cause of my
confusion. In the narrow chord hypothesis, with virtually no connection to the
hind limbs, other than a minor fuselage fillet, the rear legs have complete
freedom of movement, as in birds, because any slack in the wing is taken up by
the tension between the elbow (or just aft of it) and the wing tip. This is
what I wrote about in 2001 in Historical Biology. This is the model John Conway
uses and this is the model I knew you to be a fan of. So any talk about
involving the hind limbs with the wing with regard to trailing edge tension, or
reducing the freedom of the hindlimbs didn't make sense.

Sounds like we're back on track though. Blame it on imprecise semantics.

David