Re: Refurbished Berlin Brachiosaurus Mount

Mike,

me that Stevens and Parrish's ultra-low neck posture of Brachiosaurus

"ultra low" ??? <insert indignant puffing sounds here>

Is 6-7 m "ultra low"?

Please check out my website (at least look at the pictures) at:

http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/%7Ekent/DinoMorph/Brachiosaurus/index.html

A range of 3D body reconstructions are show that are dimensioned based on what information is explicitly available in Janensch and Riggs. The more curved the dorsal vertebral column, the lower the boom (and head way out on the end) and vice versa. The lower the pectoral girdles on the ribcage, the higher the boom, and vice versa. A few meters of difference in head height arise from choosing a "low arch" versus "high arch" to the dorsal series, in combination with two extremes of pectoral girdle placement. In examining combinations of what hopefully are reasonable extremes for dorsal curvature and pectoral girdle placement, one can see that the axial skeleton more or less gently ascends at the cervicodorsal transition because of the overall body plan and long forelimbs.

Next, if one is interested in the osteology of the vertebral series in the cervicodorsal region, check out the composite I made of Janensch's illustrations (on that web page above) and compare with various artistic interpretations. Or, better, just wait until new material with more complete neural arches becomes available to "lower the boom".

If it turns out the towering Berlin interpretation turns out to be supported by new material, that'd be so cool. The "ultra low" 6-7 m head height configuration just doesn't fit our time-honored expectations for a proper Brachiosaurus. Time will tell.

Kent

Incidentally, I need to update my whole website to show ongoing work; it has become very out of date, sorry):

http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/%7Ekent/DinoMorph/