could Cetiosaurus and Brachiosaurus swing their necks fast?

Anthony Docimo writes:
 > ie, if something grabbed them by the neck*, could the sauropods
 > move their necks side-to-side/up-and-down fast enough to
 > dislodge/hurl away the grabbing thing?
 >
 > * = no, not a large therapod....say a person, or a small maniraptor.

Possibly.  It's very hard to say.  In general, sauropods would have
been pretty careful with their necks, as they were engineered close to
their strength limits.  The exception is Apatosaurus, which appears to
have had a ridiculously over-muscled neck, and is perhaps the most
likely candidate to have used its neck in intraspecific combat.

)_v__/\  Since Oscar Wilde's quote "There is no sin except stupidity"
         is clearly stupid, we should probably consider it sinful in
         deference to him.