Re: Refurbished Berlin Brachiosaurus Mount

Kent A. Stevens writes:
 > >> The same is true for giraffes, which do not hold their necks
 > >> vertically (at least passively as extensively illustrated and
 > >> characterized for the bulk of sauropods).
 > >
 > > I've often seen this asserted, to the point where it now seems
 > > like orthodoxy.  But whenver I see giraffes in a zoo, they are
 > > standing with their necks near-vertical.
 >
 > Mike, it might appear as "orthodoxy" to you when you see it
 > informally cited, but it is the result of scientific observations,
 > not just Sunday afternoon trips to the zoo.  I point you to
 > (Leuthold and Leuthold, 1972; Pellew, 1984; Young and Isbell, 1991,
 > Woolnough du Toit, 2001).

That still leaves the question of why giraffes in zoos and safari
parks spend most of their time with their necks near vertical.  Just
because an observation has not been published does not invalidate it.

)_v__/\  "We are ready for an unforeseen event that may or may not occur"
         -- Former U.S. Vice-President Dan Quayle.