Re: Did pterosaurs feed by skimming?

BTW, yes, I know, you meant birds of prey by "raptors", but it is my opinion that, in the context of discussions about NON-avian Dinosauria, "raptor" should be informal for dromeosaurid. I hate it when people use that word for birds.

From: Brandon Pilcher <trex_kid@hotmail.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Did pterosaurs feed by skimming?
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 00:00:32 +0800

The grasping ability of pterosaur
feet, to my knowledge, is still understudied, but a cursory glance at
their pedal morphology suggests their ability to grasp things,
raptor-style, was limited.

Dromeosaurids, to the best of my knowledge, used their feet for locomotion like all non-avian theropods, not for holding prey like falconiforms.