"Raptors", falconiforms, and popular culture

(and Deinonychus was
higher profile too) despite the 'fighting fossil'. I  think Crichton is
mostly responsible for raising Velocirptor's public profile.

I agree 100%. When I first watched Jurassic Park at age 5, I thought, "those guys remind me of Deinonychus!"

Honestly, although all non-avian dinosaurs are cool to varying degrees in my view, I think Velociraptor is overrated. I much prefer Utahraptor---it's much closer to the archetypical "raptor" in size (and probably integument; it probably didn't need feathered covering thanks to its size) than Velociraptor. Sad its name does not slide off the tongue as beautifully.

Check it out! Windows Live Spaces is here! http://spaces.live.com/?mkt=en-sg It?s easy to create your own personal Web site.