RE: Did pterosaurs feed by skimming?

--- Chris Glen <s370548@student.uq.edu.au> wrote:

> I'm sure I used to know when and who started using
> the term for non-avian
> dinosaurs, but can't recall now - was it Crichton or
> Bakker or someone else?

It was Crichton. Early in the novel of Jurassic Park
we are introduced to the
suped-up-shoulda-been-_Deinonychus_,  _Velociraptor_.
Shortly after that, the word is truncated to raptor(s)
throughout the rest of the book.

Later on, Bakker (being Bakker) took the term and ran
with it; thus increasing its popularity (and general
association with any theropod).

Personally I find the term annoying (I too, usually
associate it with birds of prey), but at least it got
the general public away from the constant use of
Land-Before-Time-isms.

I mean, do we really want to return to a time of
"three horns" "long necks" and "sharp teeth?"

No thank you,

Jason

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222