Re: Did pterosaurs feed by skimming?

>>Thankfully, terms like 'trike' (for Triceratops) and 'compy' (for
>>Procompsognathus) didn't really take off. The latter in particular,
>since it
>>could have easily been confused for a shortening of Compsognathus
>instead.
>>Maybe P-Comp (as in P-Diddy) would have been more correct - although
>even
>>then it may have implied a dinosaur that could shoot back at you.

We still get bombarded everywhere by T-rex, though, making
_Tyrannosaurus rex_ probably the only organism other than
_Escherichia coli_ automatically recognised from its species name
without recourse to genus name - though we might be in trouble if
someone's actually referring to the beetle _Tyrannosorus rex_ or the
amoeboid _Entamoeba coli_.

In regards to the 'compy' does not equal '_Compsognathus_' thing,
it's not as if Crichton and the makers of Jurassic Park seemed to be
overly aware of the difference anyway ;-).

    Cheers,

        Christopher Taylor