Re: Paronychodon teeth are NOT homalocephalid fangs - killing an internet rumor

Thanks. That's very interesting to know. I forgot to note that whereas Paronychodon are more abundant in Maastrichtian than Campanian localities, the common Maastrichtian pachycephalosaurines lack premaxillary teeth and have more lateral teeth due to their longer snouts, so have even less fangs per lateral teeth.

Mickey Mortimer
http://home.myuw.net/eoraptor/Home.html

From: "franklin e. bliss" <frank@blissnet.com>
To: mickey_mortimer111@msn.com, dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Paronychodon teeth are NOT homalocephalid fangs - killing an internet rumor
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:50:39 -0600

At my Hell Creek localities, I have slightly more paronychodon teeth than Pachychephalosaur teeth coming from the microsites. (Neither are common.) I do find some obvious Pachycephalosaur material (a very nice skull cap and several squamosal spines). I would expect many more Pachycephalosaur teeth than I actually find here. While not very large, their distinctive patterning makes them easy to spot.

Frank (Rooster) Bliss
MS Biostratigraphy
Weston, Wyoming
www.wyomingdinosaurs.com