Re: Big Dinosaurs, Tiny Genomes

Here's more on the study:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v446/n7132/abs/nature05621.html

http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070305/full/070305-6.html

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v446/n7132/extref/nature05621-s1.pdf

The supplementary data is very interesting.  The one
sauropod in the sample (Apatosaurus sp.) appears to
show a genome size which is intermediate to that of
ornithischians.  Herrerasaurus exhibits an avian
genome size, which might suggest this "avian" genome
size thing goes back quite a ways within theropods
(assuming that Herrerasaurus *is* a theropod.)

Guy Leahy