Re: Big Dinosaurs, Tiny Genomes

Thanks for the references. Although I have not studied them in detail, I worry
that their series of inferences may be taking them rather far out on a limb. I
would have liked to see a statistical test of the hypothesis that cell size was
related to organism size, something inferred from the larger genomes of
flightless birds. Other tests that would be interesting to see are comparing
predator vs. herbivore lines, both for the particular species and for the time
the lineage had those traits. That would test the hypothesis that life style
would select for genome size. Note that Oviraptor has an exceptionally large
genome. The central question I'm addressing is the relative impact of ancestral
traits and natural selection on genome size over 230 million years, and the
data on flightless birds suggests natural selection is important.

By the way, there's a disconcerting howler at the very end of the Nature News
piece: "An interesting next step would be to look at the genome sizes of the
flying dinosaurs, the pterosaurs, which evolved flight independently of birds,
says Organ." -- Jeff Hecht

--
Jeff Hecht, science & technology writer
jeff@jeffhecht.com  http://www.jeffhecht.com