Re: Our current understanding of Mesozoic bird phylogeny

--- David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
schrieb:

> > What about _Yungavolucris_? The specimen does not
> look
> > like it walked a lot but IIRC it's neither too
> well
> > adapted for perching. Is there anything Mesozoic
> > around which has similar proportions? (Is there
> > *anything* with similar proportions?)
>
> Some think it may have been a foot-propelled diver.
> In any case the
> extra-broad mt II is unique.

Now that's (FPD) an interesting thought. In any case,
the material is so weird that it would be fairy tough
if not impossible to assign disassociated elements to
it. It would be possible to tell that some hindlimb
bone did *not* belong to it, but that's about it.

> What do you mean by "crown"? By definition, there is
> none, because they're
> all dead.

Arrr, -> advanced

> > And then there is the question of size - if
> Lectavis
> > was simply scaled up, the issue of whether it
> wasn't
> > actually flightless arises. But it seems to have
> been
> > long-legged rather than big - and this, in turn,
> would
> > suggest a cursorial lifestyle,
>
> Or a wading one.

Heh. I left out that bit on purpose to see whether
anyone else would think it feasible too. Though the
pseudo-clade I mentioned at the end was a bit of a
giveaway  :)

> Yes. And just in time, too -- I'm expanding and
> updating my M. Sc. thesis
> for publication :-)

I won't be the only one here who'll be waiting for that...