Re: Our current understanding of Mesozoic bird phylogeny

In any case,
the material is so weird that it would be fairy tough
if not impossible to assign disassociated elements to
it. It would be possible to tell that some hindlimb
bone did *not* belong to it, but that's about it.

That's the default assumption. Is it not that in ornithology? Do ornithologists assume that topotypic material of fitting sizes must belong to the same species unless shown otherwise???

Or a wading one.

Heh. I left out that bit on purpose to see whether anyone else would think it feasible too.

I think it has been mentioned in some literature. Of course, there's no good way to argue for or against it.