Re: "Mammoths, dinosaurs once roamed Arabia"

mkirkaldy@aol.com writes:

I don't think anyone has mentioned this:
http://www.yobserver.com/article-11869.php
which also has a nice photo of a newly discovered trackway in Yemen.

The article has some translation problems:
"A team from GSMRB discovered part of an enormous animal skeleton in the Thi Sahar region in the northwest of Dhamar governorate in February. The animal was found to be a mammoth that lived in the fourth century."

A fourth century mammoth? Surely an elephant-like jaw from 4th century deposits is more likely to be... an elephant?!

I thought the latest surviving mammoths were the dwarfs known from islands in the Arctic circle, dating to between 3000 and 4000 years ago. So 'fourth millenium BC' might be possible (but not, seemingly, in Yemen).

Dann Pigdon
Melbourne, Australia        http://heretichides.soffiles.com