Re: If the asteroid had missed...

Michael wrote:
>Ah, but here's the rub: even if you are correct, the modern faunal
composition probably wouldn't exist without the bolide effects, which creates a
bit of a Catch 22.

Certainly.  However, the animals that seem to do most of the predation on
extant large nesters (e.g., armadillos, birds, lizards) are not extravagantly
different from pre-boundary animals.  Most explanations for the absence of
large dinosaurs invoke preresidential advantage of current niche holders.  Yet,
terror birds staged a large carnivorous come back in SA.  Why was this the only
one (?).  And why did it ultimately fail?  I agree that the invaders were quite
different from boundary types...still.

>Of course, we've debated this point before and I know we're in relatively
>stark disagreement about possible causal factors for higher-clade level,
>global extinction events, as
well as the relative importance of viviparity in mammals.

We have the bolide data.  But we still have questions that may argue for a role
in species' interactions: why enanti's out before the boundary? why pterosaurs
draining before?  I fully understand that the bolide was responsible for a
great many things.  But I believe the spectacular nature of that event obscures
the pervasive, consistent, and ineluctable quality of species'
interactions--and the speciation they drive.