Re: Sweet cynodont Thursday

<<Except that Botha et al. don't mention why they put *Dvinia* deep into the Late Permian.>>

I'd imagine 'deep' here means 'shallow' in my complex stratigraphic vocabulary; 'late', 'uppermost', 'near the top' of the Permian.

Er, yes. "Deep into the interior"... :-]

Page 481 also has its attractions. There's a table listing all the identified terrestrial vertebrates from 16 similarly aged localities in the immediate area. My scribbled, unchecked numbers are downstairs so the following corpse count is slightly rough. Over 120 corpses or bits of corpses have been identified from this /Tropidostoma/ Assemblage Zone assemblage. 72% of them were contributed by one dicynodont species, /Diictodon galeops/. A couple of the localities might be accused of bias. One provided 29 corpses with 22 of that species. Another yield 15 of that species and a bit of some other dicynodont. Even so, I'm impressed with this critter. It's been found in 14 of those 16 localities. The next most numerous taxon comprises of 8 specimens of /Tropidomstoma/, with 5 of them from a single source.

Yes, the Karroo Permian is incredibly rich. Outside of maybe the Jehol Group (which hasn't been researched for so long and is probably a bit less easy to access), I'm not aware of a Mesozoic terrestrial deposit that is comparable, except for monospecific bonebeds... does Ghost Ranch count? Should the Morrison Fm count (the biggest dicynodonts in the *Tropidostoma* zone should have overlapped the smallest Morrison dinosaurs in size, AFAIK)?