From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu] On Behalf
Of T. Michael Keesey
Sent: Saturday, 17 March 2007 3:03 AM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Afrotheria revisted

> "Their long period of isolation in Africa, as assumed by molecular
inferences, is
> now to be reconsidered in as much as Eocene paenungulates and
elephant-shrews
> are here found to be related to some Early Tertiary Euramerican
"hyopsodontid
> condylarths" (archaic hoofed mammals).
> As a result, stem members of afrotherian clades are not strictly
African but also include
> some
> Early Paleogene Holarctic mammals."
>
> How can this be explained. Isn't there a contradiction here with the
previously mentioned
> findings about common ancestry of the Afrotheria? I mean, does this
last part not imply
> polyphyly?

AFAICT, all they're saying is that the biogeographic situation is more
complex than previously thought, right? I don't see why this shouldn't
be so ... even today there are non-African sirenians and
proboscideans, and until fairly recently there were a good deal more.

--
Mike Keesey