New Mongolian dromaeosaurid

Hi folks,

I don't remember this having  been mentioned on the list to date...

Turner, A. H., S. H. Hwang & M.  A. Norell, 2007, A small derived theropod
from Öösh, Early Cretaceous,  Baykhangor Mongolia. American Museum Novitates
3557, 27 pp.

Abstract: A  new theropod dinosaur, *Shanag ashile*, from the Early
Cretaceous Öösh deposits  of Mongolia is described here. The new specimen (IGM
100/1119) comprises a  well-preserved right maxilla, dentary, and partial
splenial.
This specimen  exhibits a number of derived theropod features, including a
triangular  anteriorly tapering maxilla, a large antorbital fossa, and
maxillary
participation in the caudally elongate external nares. These features resemble
the Early Cretaceous dromaeosaurids *Sinornithosaurus millenii* and
*Microraptor  zhaoianus*, as well as the basal avialan *Archaeopteryx
lithographica*. A
 comprehensive phylogenetic analysis including 58 theropod taxa unambiguously
 depicts the new Öösh theropod as a member of Dromaeosauridae. Relative to
other  dromaeosaurids, *Shanag ashile* is autapomorphic in its lack of a
promaxillary  fenestra and in the presence of interalveolar pneumatic cavities.
The
discovery  of IGM 100/1119 expands our knowledge of Early Cretaceous
dromaeosaurids and the  faunal similarity between the Öösh and the Jehol biotas.

I have the pdf  if needed, but I suppose this will sooner or later appear in
free access on the  AMNH website, if it's not already there...

Best regards,

Félix  Landry
150 rue de Vaugirard 75015 Paris, France
01 45 67 04 65 / 06 26 39  29 03
flxlandry@aol.com
Elève de l'Ecole normale supérieure, département  de Sciences sociales
45 rue d'Ulm 75005 Paris, France