Re: how does one...? was Re: JVP 27(1)

Steve Walsh wrote:

I feel it is a mistake and unfair to write Cliff off as "defensive".

So do I. Nevertheless, his recent posts allude to circumstances beyond the scope of the list (sculpturing projects, his treatment on another mailing list, etc), and which had nothing to do with me. I'm not sure I believe that Cliff's original post was good-natured and "tongue-in-cheek"? I read his tone as defensive and disgruntled; he came out swinging.

This thread began because of my use of the word "infamous" to describe the DMJ volume. Believe me, that pales in comparison to some of the comments made previously on this list, and doesn't even come close to the comments I've heard outside of this list. It just so happens that many of the assertions and interpretations made in this volume have been refuted. This is not an attack on the author(s) of this volume. But the entire point of proposing a hypothesis is to test it; and some of the hypotheses that were advanced in the DMJ volume have not held up to further scrutiny. That's how science is supposed to work.

While as Erik says this list may not be the place to expect "earnest TLC" those who do contribute in good faith should always be treated with courtesy and respect.

Agreed. However, I think the DML Administrators do a good job to ensure that the tone and language of this list remains courteous and respectful. (Some listmembers have been removed when they failed to uphold this standard.) That doesn't mean that everybody has to agree with one another. When opinions are exchanged, sometimes feelings are hurt and egos are bruised. I'm probably more wrong than right on this list - but I find being told why I might be wrong to be a productive learning experience. If this means that sometimes I feel foolish, then so be it. Life goes on.

Cheers

Tim

Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon. http://games.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmemailtaglinemarch07