Re: how does one...? was Re: JVP 27(1)

On 3/20/07, Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com> wrote:

Sorry, yes, "infamous" is probably an overstatement. I was emphasizing the point that the volume in question has a reputation for having its conclusions questioned and even overturned. Apologies to Cliff, or anyone else that took offense.

I don't see why we should refrain from calling a work "infamous" or any other pejorative (as long as we can back it up). It's not as though Tim called the authors themselves "infamous". It's not "ad hominem" if you're criticizing a book.

I have that book and, while there are good things about it (notably
the full page color photos), there's certainly plenty to criticize.
And criticism is, after all, one of the key components of science.
--
Mike Keesey