RE: Dinosaurs burrowed to keep warm

Interesting comments on a very interesting paper. I'll add a few things that
may not have come through clearly in my New Scientist report.

The burrow was about 2 meters long, and the bones were found at the bottom,
which seemed to expand into a den, but the bottom part had eroded away, so it's
not clear how big the den was. Still, it likely was big enough for the adults
to turn around in, avoiding the problem of backing out tail-first to find a
hungry theropod. :-)

Burrowing may explain other "bundles of bones" that paleontologists have found,
and excavators may have missed the evidence of a burrow.

There were bones of two half-grown juveniles in the bottom along with the
adult, indicating parental care. I'd guess that protecting young would be a
more important reason for burrowing than keeping warm in temperate climates.

--
Jeff Hecht,    science and technology writer
Boston Correspondent, New Scientist magazine