Fwd: Drinker and Oryctodromeus (was Re: Dinosaurs burrowed to keep warm)

Hey list,

I've noticed that hawks have prominent 'palpebral' bones.  Anyone here
have an idea as to the function(s) they provide?  Protection for
large, bulbous eyes?  Muscle stabilization?

Lee

On 3/21/07, Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:
Tim Williams writes:
> Bakker has noted that _Drinker_ lacked ossified tendons, and suggested
> that that a flexible tail would be useful for a burrow dweller.  The
> taphonomic evidence of burrow-dwelling in _Drinker_ hasn't appeared in
> print AFAIK - though Bakker has apparentlly mentioned it more than once.
>
> http://dml.cmnh.org/1998Mar/msg00313.html
>
> Given the discovery of _Oryctodromeus_, the idea that _Drinker_ was a
> burrowing "hypsilophodont" will undoubtedly be viewed in a new light_.
> Drinker_ would extend this behaviour back to the Late Jurassic.

Perhaps burrow-dwelling is primitive for hypsies, or even basal ornithopods?
I've read that Heterodontosaurids lacked stiffening tendons in their tails.

Those 'eyelid bones' above the eyes would also have provided good protection
from collapsing burrow material (or just plain bumping their head on the
ceiling).

Dann Pigdon
Melbourne, Australia        http://heretichides.soffiles.com

-- Lee Hall Paleontology Undergraduate, Montana State University Bozeman, MT lhall@montana.edu