Re: Drinker and Oryctodromeus (was Re: Dinosaurs burrowed to keep warm)

Lee Hall writes:

I've noticed that hawks have prominent 'palpebral' bones. Anyone here
have an idea as to the function(s) they provide? Protection for
large, bulbous eyes? Muscle stabilization?

Sounds like a good excuse for some speculatin'. My off-the cuff suggestions are:

- To protect the eyes when plunging the beak into a carcass
- To help shield the eyes from sunlight (black colouration beneath the eyes would also help to eliminate glare from reflected sunlight)
- Perhaps the projections help to protect the eyes from turbulence during fast flight to enhance (or preserve) visual acuity (kind of like occular spoilers)
- All of the above
- None of the above

Discuss in 500 words or less... :)

Dann Pigdon