Re: Reduced Consensus (Was: Afrotheria revisited)

Autapomorphies shouldn't be a problem, since they just make the OTU
distinct within the clade that its other characters assign it to.  Its
a funny mix of synapomorphies that will do for you.

That's often the same -- the autapomorphies that make a long branch will often also be autapomorphies of another clade, producing noise. Many of them will be reversals, producing more noise...

If it's any use to you, I am :-) Seriously, it's not cheating.  If you
excluded it from the analysis it would be cheating.  Think of it like
a football league.

How refreshing to have someone explain something by something other than baseball! ;-)

(I like saying that, having read Gould's Full House, I now understand evolution, but I still haven't understood baseball.)