Re: Drinker and Oryctodromeus (was Re: Dinosaurs burrowed to keep warm)

Dino Guy Ralph writes:

There is some evidence for a psittacosaur burrow -- the 34 hatchling
specimens associated with the _Psittacosaurus_ adult reported in _Nature_
were situated in a bowl-like depression, and it has been suggested that they
may have been buried alive en masse inside a collapsed burrow.

See http://dml.cmnh.org/2004Sep/msg00095.html and
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6377

Do biologists make the distinction between burrows and dens? I've always thought of a 'burrow' as an extensive network of tunnels (like a rabbit warren or badger set), whereas many non-tunneling animals (canids, hyaenas, bears, etc) will construct less-extensive dens.

I can see important physiological and behavioural differences between animals that spend a large proportion of their time underground, and those that shelter occasionally in dens. Personally, I wouldn't call the latter 'burrowers', especially if the species in question only uses the den at certain times of year for a specific purpose (bears hybernating, or canids rearing pups, as examples).

Dann Pigdon
Melbourne, Australia        http://heretichides.soffiles.com