Re: The Most Important Paper in the History of the Universe

Moreover, I understand it was found at the bottom of a very deep fissure fill.

Kent

On Mar 28, 2007, at 10:25 AM, John Conway wrote:

Ian Paulsen wrote:
> HI:
> Did you find next to these roadrunner-like tracks, tracks of a paleo
> version of Wiley E. Coyote?

...funny you should mention that:

Warner, B. 2007. Early bipedal mammals: morphology and taphonomy of Palaeocoyotus wilii. Acme Paleontology Online First. doi: 10.1007/ s00564-007-0349-x.

ABSTRACT: We report the discovery of a new specimen of the Early Cretaceous canid-like mammal _Palaeocoyotus wilii_, and it's implications for the behaviour of Cretaceous mammals. Morphological evidence suggests that _Palaeocoyotus_ was at least partly bipedal. The skull and distal parts of the skeleton are particularly well preserved, but the axial skeleton is badly crushed (under a large anvil). A pair of strap-on pterosaur wings found in close proximity suggest rudimentary flight capabilities.