RE: fossil fish query

From: Adrienne Mayor <afmayor@aol.com>
To: vrtpaleo@usc.edu
Subject: fossil fish query
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:18:48 -0700

A Russian paleontologist contacted me about his discovery of a sculpted stone relief of a fish on a temple in Northern India, dating to about 1300-1600.

Do any living fish species in northern India have 3-pointed tail fins? Would a 3-pointed tail fin be obvious in a fossil fish skeleton?

I think I recall hearing about a Cambrian Explosion fossil, of an animal with a three-pointed tail.

might the temple have used such a fossil as a base?

Thanks in advance.

welcome.

Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon. http://games.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmemailtaglinemarch07