RE: Tyrannosaur analogs in the south?

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:
From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Christopher Gunning

[[De-lurk...]]

I have a question about Gondwanaland in the Cretaceous. It looks like the Tyrannosaurids were located primarily (exclusively?) on Laurasia... so what were the primary predators on the Southern Continent? Were there analogs to the big predators we know and love, or something completely different? Or is the fossil record down there not given up that mystery yet?

The Late Cretaceous top predators of Gondwana were the Abelisauridae. Not as big as the tyrannosaurids, nor were they particularly cursorial, but like their distant northern kin they had stumpy arms.

Would that be a result of common origins or "lifestyle"?