Re: hunters in belgum

From: David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
To: DML <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: hunters in belgum
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:59:40 +0200

I woold like to ask everybody if there have been any excavation's in Belgum, i
thought not with is werd because there are iguanodon's(prey) but no hunters
found, there must be like Megalosaurus and baryonix and neoventaor, that is
worth digging up no?

As far as I know, all the *Iguanodon* material from Belgium was found in a coal mine; the bones had accumulated in a fissure in Carboniferous rock. This means there is no Cretaceous rock in that area, except for the fissure filling which has probably been completely dug out. Probably the coal mine has also been closed.

There is Cretaceous rocks in Belgium yes, and not only in Bernissart, but it's the most well-known locality. ;) In addition to Iguanodons we have ornithischian teeth from Namur (Craspedodon, but I think it's a nomen dubia), and an undescribed sauropod tibia from a Wealden quarry near Bernissart.
The coal mine is effectively closed now but specimens of Iguanodons and of other "beasts" are still in the subsoil.

Grand passioné ? Rassemblez tout ce qui vous intéresse en un seul endroit ! http://get.live.com/live/features