Re: The Papers That Ate Cincinnati

Seems to me that the best solution would to not use Aves at all. It's a common name in some languages, and the rather narrow constraints of phylogenetic nomenclature aren't suited to capturing what is meant by "bird". Even if we could find a precise definition of bird such as "the first feathered animal leading to modern birds that achieved powered flight, and all it's descendents"; what would that be under the phylocode? An _event_ based clade? No, I say chuck out aves, and use Ornithes for ((Passer domesticus)-(Velociraptor mongoliensis, Oviraptor mongoliensis, Segnosaurus galbinensis, etc.)) instead.