Re: The Papers That Ate Cincinnati

On 5/4/07, David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:
> Spanish does have the word *ave* (plural *aves*)

I've seen it in Portuguese, too, e. g. on the cover of a journal that Clarke
& Gauthier put (with many others) into a slide of their talk at the 1st
PhyloCode meeting to show how commonly the name Aves is used by
neontologists.

Googling for "uma ave" brings 199,000 results; of the first 10, however,
most are a poem or song text, and one is about a charadriiform and mentions
"Aves/pÃssaros (Birds)".

> but it's used, IIRC, for your bigger, less songbirdy
> types of birds.

Aha.

My Spanish isn't much good, but according to my dictionary, _ave_ is mostly used of larger birds, of birds considered as food, and, intriguingly, when the critters are considered as a class or category.

--
Andreas Johansson