Re: The Papers That Ate Cincinnati

The goal of the PhyloCode is the ability to unambiguously associate a
name with a group. If a group does not consist of one ancestor and all
of its descendants, then it doesn't get a clade name under the
PhyloCode.

okay, I'll try asking again, hoping I'm a little clearer this time.

in the past, the Hoatzin (again, as a real example) has been put into one group after another...with chickens, ganules, even mockingbirds if I recall.

so, if PhyloCode gives scientific names based on its evolutionary relations, what happens when a critter needs to be reclassified?

(for that matter, how many fossils were thought to be one thing (ie dinosaur, mammal), and turned out to be something else? (ie, vice versa))

Download Messenger. Join the i?m Initiative. Help make a difference today. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_APR07