Re: The Papers That Ate Cincinnati

Mike Keesey wrote:

Presumably the panclade name would be _Pan-Opisthocomus_ or
pan-Opisthocomus or something along those lines. It would be
permissible, e.g., to define _Opisthocomus_ as "_Opisthocomus hoazin_ and all of its descendants".

Wouldn't this be a tautology?

Alternately, you could use _Opisthocomiformes_ for the total group.

Yep, this is my favourite option. Trouble is, like I said, as well as having _Opisthocomus hoazin_ as the internal specifier, you would have an extremely long list of external specifiers. You would probably need a representative of almost every other extant neognath 'order' as an external specifier, to cater for any and all topologies of modern bird phylogeny.

Not a bad idea, either. (With the character of manual unguals in
juveniles, perhaps? Or digestion by fermentation in the crop?)

If I was forced to use apomorphy-based definitions, I'd probably favour something more osteological, to allow for the inclusion of fossil taxa.

Cheers

Tim

Need a break? Find your escape route with Live Search Maps. http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?ss=Restaurants~Hotels~Amusement%20Park&cp=33.832922~-117.915659&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=1118863&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01