Re: The Papers That Ate Cincinnati

From: "T. Michael Keesey" <keesey@gmail.com>
On 5/6/07, Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com> wrote:

way. For example, what would happen if the hoatzin is suddenly found to be
nested inside another bird 'order' (like Cuculiformes)?

I think that's absolutely fine. In mammals, _Cetacea_ is part of _Artiodactyla_. In insects, _Isoptera_ is part of _Dictyoptera_ and _Siphonaptera_ is part of _Mecoptera_. If opisthocomiforms are cuculiforms, great. We've learned something new and the nomenclature can help communicate that.

So...the nomenclature would change?

There are still people who don't call Brontosaurus by its proper name of Apatasaurus........what're we going to do when a species has a *dozen* scientific names?

From: "T. Michael Keesey" <keesey@gmail.com>