Re: The PhyloCode will not address the naming of species (Was The Papers That Ate Cincinnati)

>Their names are made up, but they can be defined. What _ranks_ are given to
>those names is an _entirely_ subjective decision. Surely you have noticed
>that no two published classifications of any group are identical: that's
>because nobody can say that any classification is right or wrong,

really?

Yes. Two traditional taxonomists might agree on the exact same phylogenetic hypothesis, but each could come up with different classification. Examples:

Family Hylobatidae
 Genus Hylobates
Family Pongidae
 Genus Gorilla
 Genus Pongo
 Genus Pan
Family Hominidae
 Genus Homo

Family Hylobatidae
 Genus Bunopithecus
 Genus Hylobates
 Genus Nomascus
 Genus Symphalangus
Family Hominidae
Subfamily Ponginae
 Genus Pongo
Subfamily Homininae
 Genus Gorilla
 Genus Homo
 Genus Pan

as far as I can tell, these are two different cladograms *as well as* two different classifications.

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You?ll love Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507